Reading HPFS files from WIN XP
Nate
2004-12-08 07:07:24 UTC
Can it be done?

See my post in COO.setup.misc for why I need to do it.
Thanks,

Nate Liskov
philo

http://www.felgall.com/ntins2.htm
Jan van Wijk
2004-12-08 18:38:24 UTC
Hallo Nate,
Post by philo
Post by Nate
Can it be done?
See my post in COO.setup.misc for why I need to do it.
Thanks,
Nate Liskov
this *might* work
http://www.felgall.com/ntins2.htm
No this will NOT work on Windows-XP.

The referenced driver is for Windows-NT 3.5, and works fine on NT-4.
There is also a patched version that works on Windows-2000.

All of these are limited to 4 GiB HPFS partitions, and cause
data corruption beyond that.

For Windows-XP these can not work since the device-driver
model got changed too much, and some of the OS/2 specific
support was removed completely ...

Regards, JvW
Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com
Nelson M. G. Santiago
2004-12-17 22:24:48 UTC
Post by Jan van Wijk
For Windows-XP these can not work since the device-driver
model got changed too much, and some of the OS/2 specific
support was removed completely ...
I'm sorry to contradict you but I just installed the patched Win2k
version ( from http://tam.belchenstuermer.de/tipps/hpfsw2k/index.php4 ) in
WinXP, and can access my 4 HPFS partitions (each one with a maximum 2 GB
size). What I did was as follows:

1. Install WinXP Pro, SP2, and all updates from Windows Update (except
.NET Framework and Journal Viewer).
2. Reboot to OS/2 and run a chkdsk on all HPFS partitions.
3. Reboot to WinXP.
4. Install the patched version according to the instructions.
5. Reboot WinXP. All HPFS partitions were recognized.
6. In order to test it, I copied (to and from), moved (to and from)
and deleted files, created a directory, copied files into it and then
deleted one of them. The files and directory that were thus created were
left in the HPFS partition.
7. Rebooted to OS/2, with a mandatory chkdsk ( /autocheck=+ ) in the
ifs statement, for all HPFS partitions. I got only one "CHKDSK found and
corrected a minor file system error" message during it. Looking at
CHKDSK.LOG I found that it was related to a zero-byte file copied into the
directory. I don't know why this particular file had an error.

FYI, I have 3 hard disks installed in this machine: one for OSes, one
for applications and data, and the third for backup of the other two, and
for temporary files. Firefox cache resides on a HPFS partition in the
third disk, and is shared between Firefox installations in OS/2 and Win2k.
I'll install Firefox in WinXP, and point its cache to the same directory.
This way it's going to happen some constant "traffic" between XP and the
temporary files HPFS partition which, if it's lost, it's not a drama!

Since I'm now curious (and have a spare 10 GB disk), I'll do some
additional tests during this weekend both with partitions from 2 and 4 GB,
and over 4 GB, as per your advice about partitions over 4 GB.

Nelson

Nelson M. G. Santiago <***@tutopia.com.br>

Today is Fri Dec 17, 2004.

As of 6:43pm this OS/2 Warp 4 system has been up for 0 days, 0 hours, and
06 minutes. It's running 29 processes with 128 threads.
Jan van Wijk
2004-12-18 14:10:55 UTC
Hi Nelson,
Post by Nelson M. G. Santiago
Post by Jan van Wijk
For Windows-XP these can not work since the device-driver
model got changed too much, and some of the OS/2 specific
support was removed completely ...
I'm sorry to contradict you but I just installed the patched Win2k
version ( from http://tam.belchenstuermer.de/tipps/hpfsw2k/index.php4 ) in
WinXP, and can access my 4 HPFS partitions (each one with a maximum 2 GB
OK, I don't mind being contradicted on this issue :-)

I had tested that when I first moved from W2K to XP, and
that test failed. May have to repeat that then ...

Thanks for the info!

Regards, JvW
Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com
Hemo_jr
Matt Hickman
Nate Liskov
2004-12-08 19:26:02 UTC
Thanks for your responses.

Fortunately I was finally able to boot to OS/2 using my 4.5.2 boot
disks. I then copied my critical data to the one FAT partition that
I had under Os/2. I can read that data from XP. So I no longer need
to read HPFS from XP.

However, how to boot directly to OS/2 with my new MB is still a
problem.

Nate Liskov
Nate Liskov
philo
2004-12-08 20:07:50 UTC
Post by Nate Liskov
Thanks for your responses.
Fortunately I was finally able to boot to OS/2 using my 4.5.2 boot
disks. I then copied my critical data to the one FAT partition that
I had under Os/2. I can read that data from XP. So I no longer need
to read HPFS from XP.
However, how to boot directly to OS/2 with my new MB is still a
problem.
well even though that link i posted was useless
at least you got your problem solved
i find that for booting multple os's with OS/2 it's best to use the os/2
boot manager.
that in turn can load boot managers for other os's if so needed
Nate Liskov
2004-12-09 05:37:52 UTC
Philo,

Thanks for your post.

My success with floppies was short lived, as it is not working now, but
I'll keep trying.

Anyway, my intention is restore this machine to be dedicated to OS/2
and move the windows disk to a separate box. I'll then use a KVM
switch to swap between the two boxes while using one display, one
keyboard, one mouse and one set of audio amps. This seems to be a more
satisfying approach than continually rebooting.

Ideally the best would be one of the virtual PC approaches where one
could have multiple OS's (OS/2, Win and Linux) simultaneously on the
same PC at the same time. I have heard rumors that this could be
done, but I'd like to hear some success stories before attempting it.
Nate Liskov
philo
2004-12-09 18:27:40 UTC
Post by Nate Liskov
Philo,
Thanks for your post.
My success with floppies was short lived, as it is not working now, but
I'll keep trying.
Anyway, my intention is restore this machine to be dedicated to OS/2
and move the windows disk to a separate box. I'll then use a KVM
switch to swap between the two boxes while using one display, one
keyboard, one mouse and one set of audio amps. This seems to be a more
satisfying approach than continually rebooting.
Ideally the best would be one of the virtual PC approaches where one
could have multiple OS's (OS/2, Win and Linux) simultaneously on the
same PC at the same time. I have heard rumors that this could be
done, but I'd like to hear some success stories before attempting it.
Nate Liskov
i did run OS/2 in a virtual machine
I used Bochs, which is free...
but the guest OS took a horrible performance hit.

even though some other products may be a bit better...
running in OS within a virtual machine is still going to give you a big
performance hit.

i just dual boot for everything
Martin Törnsten
2004-12-10 23:50:19 UTC
Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:27:40 -0600 received comm from
"philo" <***@privacy.net> on channel comp.os.os2.misc:

:
: even though some other products may be a bit better...
: running in OS within a virtual machine is still going to give you a big
: performance hit.

Try VPC instead (vmWare is just as good, but it doesn't support OS/2 guests).

Here is a free 45-day evaluation:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=360cafd6-5098-4c64-9ca7-a30f225859f6&DisplayLang=en

More info about VPC:
http://www.microsoft.com/PRODUCTS/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=ba9e68ed-9571-4d10-82d2-b51828c33297&type=ovr

These type of virtual machines "cheat" more and do more tricks that enhances the
performance compared to a real emulator (like Bochs, which is a good thing at
what i tries to accomplish, and can't be replaced with a virtual machine like
VPC or wmWare who must have specific guest OS support, which Bochs doesn't
need).

martin törnsten
***@gmail.com
John Basel
2004-12-12 03:27:36 UTC
Nate,

There is an article in OS2Voice about installing ECS under VPC under
XP.
Sounds like it worked nicely.

http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL1104H/vnewsf3.htm

John Basel